Book review: The One We Fell In Love With - Paige Toon


Phoebe is caught between a rock and a hard place. Settle down and get married, or return to the French Alps to pursue her passion?

Eliza is in love with someone who is no longer hers. In fact, he probably never was… And her dream of becoming a musician seems to be spiralling down the drain.

Rose is out of a job and out of a boyfriend. To make matters worse, she’s been forced to move back in with her mother…

But these very different girls have one thing in common. Angus. The one they fell in love with…


My review.
To be honest, the blurb alone would not have sold me on this one. Love triangles (or... squares?) are usually not something I go for. But having read - and loved - Paige Toon novels before I decided that I'd go for it. And hurray for that!During the first half of the book I had a love-'hate' relationship with all three of the sisters. Depending on which of the girls was telling the story, I felt closer to one of them and more apprehensive about the other. Until their stories became one story, and I could see, love and appreciate all three of them individually.
Now we've all read those cover-quotes from other authors or big magazines, but never did they feel so accurate than with this book, and I have to be careful not to just copy-paste them into my review. I did laugh and cry, and the book made me both sad and happy. It made me appreciate and enjoy what I have even more - although now I maybe wish I had a sister as well as a brother ;-)
When I say I cried, I'm being a 100% serious. I didn't even care I was the "strange girl" on the train, first laughing and then crying by myself. I even had to stop for a few minutes before going into work, getting the book out of my mind. The story is intense, the relationships complicated and both heartwarming and heartbreaking at the same time.
Absolutely loved it.




 



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts